Sunday, August 23, 2015

Exploring the UNEXPLORED within the EXPLORED..!

Been riding my GT Aggressor 3.0 since last 4 years. Have done few long rides to Korlai Fort - 115 kms (and back), Karjat-Kashele-Neral-Karjat - 46 Kms, Nerul to Neral - 70 kms (and back) and also numerous local rides in Nerul, Seawoods, Belapur, Juinagar, Sanpada, Vashi, Kharghar, Panvel, etc. Almost all these rides were on-road primarily and I hardly focused on a off-road ride even after my bicycle being a MTB.

The itch to ride off-road started last Sunday (16.08.2015) when I went to Pandavkada waterfall in Kharghar with Sameer. Had trilling fun crossing the river stream numerous times.



After this first so called Off-road ride, I started thinking of places where I can enjoy off-roading. The first place that came to my mind was off-roading on Kharghar Hill from Phanaspada village to the source of Pandav kada waterfall. And the same was planned on next Sunday i.e. today.

23.08.2015
Left home at 6:30 am today for Kharghar Hill. Reached base of Kharghar Hill in 15 mins and was surprised to see many cars and bikes parked there. I started paddling uphill and was stopped by security informing me about new rule which prohibits cycling on the hill road and only walking is allowed. Slightly disappointed I turned back and started riding to random places. I rode through Sector 5, 4, 3, 1A of Belapur and then the most beautiful Sector - 1. I was impressed with the way small bunglows are constructed close to forest. I passed through "General Arun Kumar Vaidya Marg" which had dense trees on both sides. And in the way I came across a park named "Valley park" near sector-1. A tar road approached to forest but again bicycle entry was restricted inside. I was told that the road is of almost 1 Km inside but entry is allowed by walking only. Again disappointed, I turned back and thought of some other place where I can enjoy the ride. Then came the idea of attempting to ride on a road which always looked mysterious to me. The road that goes other end of Parsik Hill and the approach of which starts from "Belapur Khind" on Sion-Panvel Highway. The road goes to some temple on the small hill, 100 meters from approach is all I knew.

I decided to follow that route without having any clue about it.

I reached the temple (two temples actually) and saw a small road going further into forest. There was knee high grass on road hinting that nobody ventures on it. I halted at temple for 5 mins thinking whether to proceed further or turn back.


Proceeding further was a more attractive option to me, so what if it was risky being alone? Without thinking twice, I proceeded. There was dense forest on both sides and the road was all kuccha and uphill. At some places, I was forced to get down and walk as it was tough to maintain traction on the uphill road with pebbles on surface. I stopped at some places to click pics and one thing was running continuously on back of my mind, "Whether it is safe to proceed further to unknown forest alone or to back off?". However, the journey was just started and I hardly had a dose of adventure. While clicking pics, I observed that there were many small mosquitoes in the forest and they attempted to bite me every time I stopped. Those were special mosquitoes with silver legs. I continued further and came across one board that mentioned that the road and premises belonged to Electricity Board. I again thought whether to proceed or turn back and again I chose to proceed.




Road further continued to be uphill and I was enjoying as well as wondering what lies ahead. After around 600 meters from temples, the incline ended but forest continued. I could hear sweet melodies of birds from all around as if greeting me. I imagined what fun it can be with company of 3-4 cyclists. After around 1 km, I came across three boys in early 20s which looked like labourers and were holding a saw each. I greeted them "Kya Bhai log?" and one of them replied, "Bolo Bhai". I asked whether the place is safe enough and how far the road exists. They said, the road goes very far but its not good, there are too many "khaddas" and "Patthars" on road. I said, "No worries but its safe naa?', they replied, "Yes it is". I continued and suddenly I noticed a snake crossing my path. I braked slightly to let it pass and it got just saved by a feet from being injured by front tyre of my bicycle. Slight current passed my body but continued ahead. Further, there were two trees damaged and their trunks were lying across the road. I had to get down, lift the bicycle and then cross the trunks. I also checked whether snake was following me by any chance ;-).






Proceeding further made clear the purpose of this road. The road was constructed by Electricity Board to make access to the huge electric towers that form a chain on range of hills starting from Turbhe to Belapur. From here I could see the chain to towers till quite far and realised that the road must be existing atleast 10-12 kms ahead. Forest was cleared in this section for making place for towers.

 



















I passed two towers and then came the edge of hill. It was valley on left side and forest on right side. The grass on road was denser and it covered the stones that were lying on the track. I over-rode stones of atleast height of 10 cms on 3-4 occasions. Some section was uphill, some was downhill, some was plain and some times it so happened that uphill came immediately after downhill and I was caught in wrong gear forcing to stop. Some small streams were passing from the tracks. By this time, I had already covered appx 4 Kms. I could see D. Y. Patil Stadium on my left side.



I continued further and then came the view of stone quarries of Nerul to the right side. I realised that I have come atleast 6 kms from the temples and was close to LP. There was a big hard rock on the right side of the track. I parked my bicycle over there, took a break of 15 mins eating  bananas that I was carrying and drank water. While I was relaxing and observing around, I realised that 6-8 mosquitoes are sitting on both of my hand and enjoying my blood. In a jerk, I rubbed both hands killing all the mosquitoes and decided to return.




















I made my mind to turn back finally. Return journey was real fun as the track was somewhat known, I could easily avoid stones which I over-rode before and gained good speed while downhill ride on track which was moist, full of pebbles, crossing the knee high to waist high grass and realising every second what a great track I have discovered! I reached temples in no time, clicked some pics, joined Sion-Panvel Road and reached home.

I took a small bucket full of water, a soft cotton cloth and cleaned the bicycle fully including every corner of frame, cables, gears, chain, rims, tyres, etc. I also grabbed the opportunity and took out wax polish from the car and polished the bicycle to its shining glory. I realised what a great service my GT Aggressor has given to me over the period of 4 years and how well she has aged without any trouble whatsoever, not even a flat tyre..!

No comments:

Post a Comment